[open-science] Distributed collaboration anybody?

Prechelt, Lutz prechelt at inf.fu-berlin.de
Fri Nov 15 18:45:53 UTC 2019

Hi Danbee,

Github is for asynchronous collaboration: Some time between what you see and do and what your collaborator sees and does.
Saros is for synchronous: We are both looking at the same document RIGHT NOW and you see my change immediately (as with Google Docs, but for masses of text files that live locally on your own machine and can be processed by development tools anytime).
Have a look at the animated GIF on this page:
https://github.com/saros-project/saros
The left and right part show the Eclipse IDE on two different machines (that could be on different continents).
That's yet another dimension beyond what GitHub does for you, if you need it.

  Lutz