[open-sustainability] Hello from London

Tom Chance Tom.Chance at london.gov.uk
Fri Dec 14 09:50:15 UTC 2012

Hi Chris,

I think much the same as any other politicians, though they may not have policies that are very pro-open knowledge.

The Members I work with stood on a manifesto that included various specific commitments in this area, see pages 14-15: http://london.greenparty.org.uk/assets/images/londonimages/manifesto2012/Green_Party_manifesto_london2012_download.pdf

Their national policy likewise: http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/index.php/ec#EC1000

I think it's particularly relevant to sustainability, because so little data and information in this area is open compared to other policy areas we work on. For example, The UK government and the Mayor of London publish comprehensive statistics on social aspects of housing (stock, tenure, new build, overcrowding, homelessness, etc.) but far less on environmental aspects of housing, and where it is published it is often far less detailed or useful. This makes scrutiny by elected politicians and the public more difficult. We have been pushing for relevant existing data to be published on the London Datastore to try and address this, but sometimes the data isn't even collected or stored in a ready-to-release way.

A lot of knowledge is also locked up in private, proprietary databases, hampering innovation. For example, the Stockholm Environment Institute have a fantastic tool called REAP (Resources and Energy Analysis Programme) which can help you model the ecological footprint of different consumption patterns. But it's proprietary, they haven't found a commercial model that can work with completely open data. So you have to pay to use the tool, and you're to a significant extent constrained by their design. http://www.sei-international.org/reap

Tom Chance
Team Coordinator
LONDONASSEMBLY Green Group

City Hall, The Queen's Walk, London SE1 2AA
Tel: 020 7983 4963