[Open-transport] Open transportation resources from Civic Commons

Philip Ashlock phil at openplans.org
Thu Dec 22 23:00:06 UTC 2011

Thanks for inviting me to this group and thanks for referencing the Civic
Commons wiki listing of Transportation apps. We're in the process of moving
that listing to the Civic Commons Marketplace, but right now the
Transportation listing needs to be cleaned up a bit (and let you filter for
just apps):
http://marketplace.civiccommons.org/civic-function/transportation

I should also mention that I don't personally focus on transportation, but
I work with a lot of people who do. Otherwise, let me start off by just
copying the resources I mentioned to Daniel on one of the other OKFN lists:

http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-government/2011-November/001816.html

Daniel, I'd be happy to connect you with some of my colleagues who are
experts on this stuff in the U.S. In the meantime, here are a few notable
things to check out in the US:

City Go Round <http://www.citygoround.org/> is similar to Trafiklab. It
lists the transit agencies that have and have not released their data in
GTFS (general transit feed specification) along with all the apps that are
available to work with GTFS. This creates a nice dynamic because it
simultaneously creates peer pressure and competitiveness amongst transit
agencies and shows the value proposition of opening data (with all the apps
listed).

A Case for Open Data in
Transit<http://openplans.org/civichacker/2010/08/02/a-case-for-open-data-in-transit/>is
a short documentary we made about the value of open data in transit.

OpenPlans also works on some of the worlds largest open source transit
projects including OpenTripPlanner <http://opentripplanner.com/> and the
continued development of OneBusAway as it is rolled out across all NYC
buses as MTA BusTime<http://openplans.org/2011/11/22/staten-island-well-see-you-in-bus-time/>

OpenTripPlanner has been used in a number of places in Europe and around
the world and I'm pretty sure that the open source work on MTA BusTime is
being done with the same SIRI standards used in Europe.

A good place to learn more about what's going on with transit data is this
very active mailing list:
http://groups.google.com/group/transit-developers

Best,
Phil