[Open-transport] Open Transport Data tools / webservices

Brian Ferris bdferris at google.com
Tue Jul 16 05:42:16 UTC 2013

"some agencies are complaining that Google is not listening enough what
agencies want/need"

This is most certainly true.  At the end of the day, Google builds transit
features for riders first and foremost, and agencies don't always agree
with the decisions we make.  If you are a transit app developer, chances
are you also don't always agree with the decisions your transit agency
makes either and thought you might do better.  Of course, we all want to
help agencies where we can, but you have to acknowledge that there is
sometimes a fundamental tension there.

GTFS reflects that tension, as it was developed as a format for
communicating rider information (as opposed to operational information).
 There are certainly opportunities to improve exchange of operational data
(proposals to extend GTFS with a GTFS-operational spec, other formats, etc)
but part of what made GTFS successful (and relatively concise compared to
other standards) is its focus on doing one thing: communicating rider
information.  Replacing GTFS with something else might make some sense for
agencies, but I'm not sure riders will necessarily be better off.

Or perhaps you were just arguing that Google works with so many agencies
that it can't possibly provide responsive service to all of them?  That may
be true as well, but replacing GTFS with some other data format probably
won't fix that problem ; )

"GTFS is not a true consensus based standard"

I'd be interested in hearing more of your thoughts on this.  I certainly
try hard to make sure that GTFS is extended through general consensus, but
I also acknowledge that Google has an outsized influence on the process
given my activity on the GTFS-changes mailing list.  However, to me,
extending GTFS is hard not because any one participant is dragging their
feet.  It just takes a lot of work to see a proposal through from start to
finish, given the constraints defined in the GTFS extension guidelines.

Brian