[Open-transport] Open Transport Data tools / webservices

Andrew Byrd andrew at fastmail.net
Tue Jul 16 09:26:52 UTC 2013

On 07/16/2013 03:07 AM, Stéphane Guidoin wrote:
> Brian, you are not easy to follow ;)

I'd say the exchange went as follows:
Pieter started a discussion on API and vocabulary standardization for
the public transport sector. Brian observed that APIs proliferate and
it's hard to make something that suits everyone's needs, so the
important thing is standardizing bulk data exchange formats. I'd say
either way agreeing on vocabulary is a good idea.

> The other issue here, is that we already have an elephant in the room:
> GTFS. As said by Brian, you will have difficulties to justify a new
> format given how long it has been to convince some agencies to adopt GFTS.

The initial subject was API standardization; I don't think Pieter or
anyone else was advocating replacing GTFS with an alternative bulk data
standard.

Apparently some agencies are disappointed that GTFS does not support
their particular fare system, but a look through the GTFS-changes
archives will show that there has been a lot of discussion on the
subject. Perhaps the problem is not lack of community input, but rather
complex fare systems that are easier to model with custom code than with
tables of rules.

-Andrew