[Open-transport] Open Transport Data tools / webservices

Andrew Byrd andrew at fastmail.net
Tue Jul 16 09:53:11 UTC 2013

On 07/16/2013 11:48 AM, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jul 2013, Christophe Duquesne-Aurige wrote:
>> It has GTFS, NEPTUNE and NeTEx import and export (the latest, NeTEx,
>> being the very new CEN standard for scheduled public transport data
>> exchange), and was recently added a KML export ...
>
> If you have ever seen an export made to NeTEx you directly understand
> the tool just converts to a call based format a la GTFS - which is
> insane if you have a Transmodel definition at your hands.

What is a "call-based format"?

> What I expect from tooling that converts is to increase entropy at a
> conversion. Especially if the "latest NeTEx" is so rich in its
> vocabulary you wonder why you praise it, when most of the people don't
> use it beyond the GTFS simplistic use case.

So you want your conversion tools to increase entropy? Can you give a
concrete example of this and why it's desirable?

I'm not sure anyone's specifically praising NeTEx, I think we just find
it has a few concepts that GTFS doesn't and sometimes need to use those
concepts.

-Andrew