[Open-transport] We Move Project : Open Delays

Pieter Colpaert pieter.colpaert at okfn.org
Fri Oct 17 08:31:28 UTC 2014

Hi Samuel,

Very interesting! I didn't know we move center. Looks like with this
project we have a common interest. Thanks for reaching out on this
mailing list!

Nice work on the ODS export script. There are however some problems with it:
  * there are some encoding issues with the station names. I would
recommend using CSV instead of ODS (more lightweight for Web usage), and
be sure to encode everything as UTF-8 in your python script
  * Considering station names: they're difficult to mash up with other
datasets out there. In order to make your data more usable, I would try
to link your station names to identifiers. E.g.,
http://irail.be/stations/NMBS?q={stationname} (use an accept header:
application/json) allows you to convert a stationname towards an iRail URI.
  * Since I'm from Belgium I have insider information about railtime and
I have bad news: mid december it's going to disappear. A better option
is to use the API of iRail: http://api.iRail.be
  * I would store the date and the time in 1 field as a datetime and
also include timezone information (iso8601). Right now it's very unclear
what date is intended.

Hope this helps! Certainly continue with your work and thanks for
sharing it in the open!

Kind regards,

Pieter

On 2014-10-16 19:38, samuel jouan wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I'm making an internship with We Move.center, a new civic organization
> involved in promoting European citizens' rights in mobility. I
> consider now makin a short term project on open data, that aims to
> gather trains delay exploitation data, from
> http://www.railtime.be/ directly in the HTML code, with a python
> script that will update the database every hour with a scheduler task,
> so as to be able to keep data more than a week (a bit like
> trainenretard.be, but with different aims).
>
> Now we have the program and we share it on
> http://opendelays.sourceforge.net/ with a sample of our database in
> ods format.This project aim to gather and share train data in Europe,
> more information here:
> http://wemove.center/joomla/index.php/blog/item/104-open-delays
>

> Do you guys have any feedback on this, before we start working on it ?
> Do you think this is feasible (we don't have a lot of time) and if
> there is a better way or existing resource...
>
> Thank you in advance

+32 486 74 71 22

Open Knowledge Foundation Belgium
http://okfn.be