[Open-transport] We Move Project : Open Delays

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Oct 17 08:49:48 UTC 2014

Hi there,

Just my 2c to say I think this sounds brilliant.

Years ago I wanted to build an app called "Was it on Time?" after
experience of waiting for trains in the UK that claimed to be on time on
the departure / arrival screens but were regularly late:

https://github.com/okfn/ideas/issues/86

However, other than a mini-prototype with some folks in Sao Paulo focused
on buses we never got to execution, so its great to see something like this
happening and I think there is a huge opportunity here to collect and/or
crowdsource a really valuable dataset and use it to push for improvements.

Rufus

On 16 October 2014 18:38, samuel jouan <samueljouan at hotmail.fr> wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I'm making an internship with We Move.center, a new civic organization
> involved in promoting European citizens' rights in mobility. I consider now
> makin a short term project on open data, that aims to gather trains
> delay exploitation data, from http://www.railtime.be/ directly in the
> HTML code, with a python script that will update the database every hour
> with a scheduler task, so as to be able to keep data more than a week (a
> bit like trainenretard.be, but with different aims).
>
> Now we have the program and we share it on
> http://opendelays.sourceforge.net/ with a sample of our database in ods
> format.This project aim to gather and share train data in Europe, more
> information here:
> http://wemove.center/joomla/index.php/blog/item/104-open-delays
>

> Do you guys have any feedback on this, before we start working on it ? Do
> you think this is feasible (we don't have a lot of time) and if there is a
> better way or existing resource...
>

> Thank you in advance

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> - see
how data can change the world**http://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>*

The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,
Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.