[Open-transport] API for Deutsche Bahn Fernverkehr schedules

Tristram Gräbener tristramg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 17:48:44 UTC 2016

I don’t really want to get into the discussions, in what order and with
what technical requirement a carrier should open its data.

But it is interesting to see the difference between DB and SNCF.

SNCF has an older history of opendata (3 years vs. 3 months).
The SNCF has released all timetables excepted long distance. This API of
the DB only contains long distance trains. The reason behind is the same,
with opposite conclusions (local trains are paid by regions/Länder, long
distance is a commercial service).

Concerning licences, the DB has been very good and uses standard licences.
The SNCF uses a translated version of ODbL (meh), and their API has an
exceptionally stupid licence.

I hope that Stefan and Pieter are wrong, and the DB will expand soon the
API to add realtime informations and (the SNCF already does that), a
journey planner (again, already done for SNCF) and that raw data will be
published along the API (SNCF does that partially).
If the formats are standards, the better. If it is some PlanB with a
documentation, meh… at least we have the data :)

Freundliche Grüße :)