[open-visualisation] open source visualisation software

David Jones drj at ravenbrook.com
Thu Apr 1 10:07:22 UTC 2010

On 31 Mar 2010, at 16:40, Lisa Evans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this list, so I will briefly introduce myself: I'm
> involved in the OKFN as a researcher for the 'Where Does My Money
> Go' project. I joined this mailing list to help make a good list of
> open source visualisation software.
>
> We have a long list of software tools at:
>
> http://wiki.okfn.org/OpenVisualisation
>
> I'm looking at a select few in more detail here:
>
> http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcc9h7b6_38q9594qfj

The problem with lists is that they get long.  The problem with
visualisation software is that there are way too many to choose from
and it seems hard to evaluate them (for example, of the 7 on your
hand-picked list, I have only heard of 2 of them).

Would it be a good idea to try and get a few of the list members to
write a short review of their favourite visualisation software, what
they use it for and why they like it? (I've just written one for
OmniGraffle, but now I realise you were asking about Open Source).

Your google doc is a start at that, but if we (or you at any rate!)
are writing reviews we may as well pool them.

drj