[open-visualisation] open source visualisation software

Nils Gehlenborg nils at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Mar 31 21:26:14 UTC 2010

Hi Lisa,

Not sure how relevant this is for you at the moment, but I saw that you also have a few bioinformatics programs in your list of domain-specific tools. Have a look at this Nature Methods Special Feature of visualization of biological data for a very recent review of what is available in that area (mostly open source tools):

http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/v7/n3s/index.html

A few more general toolkits and tools that I didn't see on your list:

- Protovis: http://www.protovis.org
- Raphael: http://www.raphaeljs.com
- Axiis: http://www.axiis.org
- Flot: http://code.google.com/p/flot
- Tulip: http://tulip.labri.fr/TulipDrupal/
- Gephi: http://gephi.org/

I can definitely recommend you to have a closer look at Protovis and Raphael.

Cheers,
Nils