[open-visualisation] More open source visualisation software

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu May 27 11:34:52 UTC 2010

On 26 May 2010 21:23, Lisa Evans <lisa.evans at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working on defining the open source visualisation software that
> various members of this mailing list have told me about.
>
> https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ARkFVPcNaYlxZGNjOWg3YjZfMzhxOTU5NHFmag&hl=en

Great work. I'm just wondering, and please take this as a suggestion
:), would it be that bad to use the wiki. It seems it could do
everything you're doing in gdocs and in the long run (urls, open
source etc) is probably good thing and we don't have a need here for
real time collaboration :)

> You may remember I wrote to the list about a month ago, but since then, as
> you can see, I've classified the software by such things as:
>
> - the technology used
> - how much and what skills are required to use it
> - type of output
> - the extent to which it is open

This is very useful. I've also followed up on your and David Jones
suggestions to start rating/classifying the material to make it more
useful:

<http://wiki.okfn.org/OpenVisualisation>

I've done it by language first and then by table with various columns.
Would make a lot of sense to add more columns to reflect the kinds of
things you've been dealing with (such as type of output).

> I still have some cells to complete, particularly the level to which these
> products are open.

I'd suggest putting in an open-source license (or a note or N/A if closed).

Rufus