[openbiblio-dev] future development and names of things

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Aug 24 20:27:37 UTC 2011

On 23 August 2011 18:32, Mark MacGillivray <mark.macgillivray at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We are continuing development of various bits of software for open
> bibliography. My particular interest at the moment lies in working
> with bibserver to further develop it as a tool for managing small
> bibliographic collections, as well as potentially using similar
> functionality to enable easy sharing of such records on a large scale.
>
> One thing we would like to try is running the service of the BNB data
> which is currently in openbiblio software and at bibliographica.org on
> the new bibserver software. And this brings up a naming issue:
>
> * bibliographica.org or bibsoup.net?

I'm +1 for bibliographica.org :-)

@Jonathan: as the original progenitor of bibliographica.org do you have a view?

> Presently you will find the British National Bibliography running in
> an instance of openbiblio available at bibliographica.org, and an
> example of bibserver running at bibsoup.net, with some small example
> records in it.
>
> Each of these names has points for and against it, but if we are to
> consolidate efforts, it may be best to do so via one piece of
> software, demonstrated at one website.

I think we should probably separate the 'demo' site from the
production service. I think for demos we can have:

demo.XXX.org where XXX is whatever site we go for (or even better
demo.bibserver.org ...).

> Of course, none of this would preclude anyone from running either
> openbiblio or bibserver software for themselves, anywhere they wish.
>
> The point here is just this: for our particular demonstration of the
> tools we are currently working on, which name would fit best?

I'm thinking here *not* about the demo but about the actual service
people would use.

Rufus

--
Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation