[openbiblio-dev] UI experiment - Bibliographica

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 4 13:09:22 UTC 2011

Richard, William
THIS IS REALLY EXCITING...

We are planning to demo Open Bibliography at #pmrsymp on January 17th and
this sort of demo is brilliant. If you have anything to show by then we will
show it. William, ben, Mark etc will be here...

The place of publication - or rather the author affiliation -  is really
important for science. Take a look at:
http://www.vimeo.com/846349
which Andrew Walkingshaw made about 3 years ago. It shows place/timeline for
crystallogrpahy over about 5 years. I'd love to remake this as (a) the
background earth is too dark and (b) we have 3 more years since then. So a
bibliographic timeline/map is IMO a killer app.

Another critical map is showing (a) where research on topic X is published -
this does it for crystallography and (b) who publishes with whom. That
should be on every vice-chancellor's desk showing which of their faculuty
does what when and where.

Suggest you liaise with Ben on this - he has/can_extract all the location
data from scientific bibliography.

Keep coming up with these great ideas. The heads of research councils will
be present on January 17th so there is a real opportunity to show the world
what OKF has done.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics