[openbiblio-dev] UI experiment - Bibliographica

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Jan 4 14:58:44 UTC 2011

Quoting William Waites <ww at eris.okfn.org>:

> * [2011-01-04 12:13:13 +0000] Richard Pope <richard at memespring.co.uk> écrit:
>
> ] Don't worry, it's just for mockup purposes / to try out ideas.
>
> Sure, just wanted to point that out.
>
> But on the question of mapping, what location data we have is mostly
> for the place of publication. That's not so interesting.  What would
> be more interesting might be, considering works of fiction, the
> setting. But we don't have this information. So the question is how
> might we best collect it?

There is place information for some fiction, presumably coming out of
library data:

http://openlibrary.org/works/OL8300177W/Oliver_Twist

Because subjects are at the work level in OL, you could retrieve
places from the work for any edition.

One of the issues for fiction, of course, is fictitious places, which
are notoriously hard to map :-). Library subject headings distinguish
between real and not real:

Discworld (Imaginary place)

LibraryThing has a data element for users to add place information,
but I don't think it distinguishes between real and not real places.

kc