[openbiblio-dev] UI experiment - Bibliographica

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 4 15:56:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:

> There is place information for some fiction, presumably coming out of
> library data:
>
> http://openlibrary.org/works/OL8300177W/Oliver_Twist
>
> Because subjects are at the work level in OL, you could retrieve places
> from the work for any edition.
>
> One of the issues for fiction, of course, is fictitious places, which are
> notoriously hard to map :-). Library subject headings distinguish between
> real and not real:
>
> Discworld (Imaginary place)
>
> LibraryThing has a data element for users to add place information, but I
> don't think it distinguishes between real and not real places.
>
> My guess is that if the place is sufficiently interesting then we can find
it in Wikipedia - if it's on the surface of Terra is will usually have
lat/long. If it's fictitious it won't.

"The *Discworld* is the fictional setting for all of Terry
Pratchett<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett>'s
*Discworld <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld>* fantasy novels."

"*Narnia* is a fantasy world
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_world>created by C.
S. Lewis <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._S._Lewis> as the primary location
for his series of seven fantasy
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy>novels for children, "

"The *Hundred Acre Wood* (also spelled as *100 Aker Wood*, *Hundred-Acre
Wood*, and *100 Acre Wood*; also known as simply "The Wood") is the
fictional land inhabited by
Winnie-the-Pooh<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie-the-Pooh>and his
friends in the
Winnie-the-Pooh <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie-the-Pooh> series of
children's stories by author A. A.
Milne<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._A._Milne>.

"*The Mayor of Casterbridge* (1886), subtitled "The Life and Death of a Man
of Character", is a tragic novel by British
author<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Author> Thomas
Hardy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hardy>. It is set in the
fictional town of Casterbridge (based on the town of
Dorchester<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorchester,_Dorset>in
Dorset <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorset>). "

It should be fairly easy to identify whether the language uses "fictional",
"fantasy" and other constructs

We shan't get all exemplars but enough to excite people.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics