[openbiblio-dev] Virtuoso versus 4store

William Waites ww at styx.org
Fri May 13 13:51:12 UTC 2011

* [2011-05-13 09:39:43 -0400] Ed Summers <ehs at pobox.com> écrit:

] I don't know the full scope of the openbiblio project, so take this
] with a boulder sized grain of salt.
]
] I wonder if it might be worthwhile to first pursue supporting the
] crawling pattern [1] that Owen helpfully cited. In this pattern you
] would mint URIs for the resources the project cares about, and make
] sure people can resolve them to get back chunks of machine readable
] and web friendly data, and that there were links out to other relevant
] places. Would this be a good place to start if you are trying to
] convince the BL of the utility of Linked Data?

The BL seems quite convinced, they just move at the pace of a large
institution so haven't minted their own URIs for these things yet.

] Or was SPARQL support one of your deliverables for the project?

The reason for SPARQL (which is not a formal deliverable) is to allow
clients to find things by querying -- this may be nitigated by the
additional Solr index.

But definitely I'm imagining the clients to get a list of documents
that thye are interestied in and then pull local copies for their
own purposes, not that the main interaction would necessarily be
query-based. (Hmmm... Maybe I'm advocating all three patterns?)

In fact this is possible now. There is a simple JSON query protocol
and you can pull records in our own dialect of linked JSON. Mark used
this to great success during the Edinburgh Science Festival.

But the problem with adding functionality to the bibliographica site
qua application is that it really is query based, only the queries
have to be threaded through the whole stack which is complicated and
difficult to understand for our own developers never mind third
parties...

Mark's pattern good; bibliographica-as-application's pattern bad. :)

Cheers,
-w
--
William Waites                <mailto:ww at styx.org>