[openbiblio-dev] Datasets spreadsheet

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 2 18:15:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> about
>

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtbO6mZEvieCdDFzdkVNQld6Mnc5NEpGWVlRUVhvM3c#gid=0

This is a brilliant piece of work by Ross and deserves wider coverage. I
hadn't thought of it before but a BibJSON collection based on the
publishers (possibly the journal) would be a brilliant and rapid
demonstration both of the value of BibJSON and the sorry state (IMO) of
hybrid open access.

> This is potentially extremely useful. I suggest should be developed as an
> openbiblio resource subject
> to emerging standards for maintaining such resources.
>
> > > If you're going to reuse this work (or do something similar), I'd
> > > suggest explicitly storing the categories in a column rather than
> > > making this information only available via color coding.  It's
> > > impossible to filter, sort, search, facet, etc on a color.
>
> +1 from me. It is fine to keep this sort of data in a spreadsheet, but its
> full content
> should be exportable as csv or tsv, from which we can easily convert to
> BibJSON and provide some kind of
> BibServer display, and reuse for whatever other purposes.  I have a couple
> of questions:
>
> 1) What is the procedure by which rows in this table can be added/modified?

Hard graft - reading the publisher web sites. They are awful.

> 2) What is the relation of this table to  the JISC sponsored
> http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo/ ?
>
> No formal relationship. Romeo works on journals, whereas hybrids are per
article. I don't think they cover it. Also there is much fuzziness about
the term "open access". DOAJ I think uses the SPARC label to denore
BOAI-compliance

> 3) How to get a machine export of http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo/ to merge
> with Ross's data?
> Anyone on this list part of the Romeo/Sherpa team?  Their email is
> romeo at sherpa.ac.uk
> May be good to invite them to this list if they are not already on it.

I know Bill Hubbard. Let's see what is involved. I can see:

* translating Ross-googlespreadsheet to BibJSON. Probably an evening (I
assume we can export as CSV).
* working out a technology to enhance sherpa by overlaying Ross.bjson over
their site. When someone click a journal it could also pop up the hybrid
info. That would be very useful indeed
* talking to sherpa about it

--
Peter Murray-Rust