[openbiblio-dev] BibJson and non written material

Sylvain Hellegouarch sylvain.hellegouarch at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 18:10:20 UTC 2013

Hi Mark,

2013/2/16 Mark MacGillivray <mark at cottagelabs.com>

> Hi Sylvain,
>
> BibJSON so far has been used mainly for metadata about books or articles.
> In essence the same technology could be used for CD or DVD and so on, as
> really it is all just metadata about some piece of information.
>
> There are no specific examples of representing a CD in bibjson, you could
> come up with some if you wanted to do so that followed similar convention -
> e.g. there is a "type" field commonly used, so you could just call it "cd"
> or "dvd". The various sorts of person involved would probably be different,
> e.g. rather than author and editor you may have performer and composer
> lists.
>
> Whilst this would be simple to store, the question would be how you want
> to display it; a list of books or articles are known to have authors, so by
> default the bibserver facetview options include an "author" facet. However
> if you expect to have a lot of records containing "composer" objects, for
> example, you could add a "composer" facet to your facetview options.

Thanks for your input. I had gathered indeed that BibJSON was rather open
by nature but I had wondered if it would be frowned upon nonetheless. I
understand the impact different source requirements would have on the
bibserver and I'll probably focus on books first.

As for metadata, I will probably look at the music ontology proposal
http://musicontology.com/

Thanks,
--
- Sylvain