[openbiblio-dev] Items of a manifestation with BibJSON

Sylvain Hellegouarch sylvain.hellegouarch at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 21:23:50 UTC 2013

All,

Apologies if this is not the best place for what follows. Don't hesitate
pointing me at a better direction if needed.

I'm going through my local library dataset and I've come across something I
would like your eye on. Basically, the dataset provides me with a record of
a work and tells me where items of this work can be found withing the
network of libraries we have here.

So for instance, I'll have something like:

Library A => Dewey Identifier [ => optionally a return date if it's been
rented]
Library B => Dewey Identifier [ => optionally a return date if it's been
rented]
etc.

It's not always a a Dewey identifier obviously, there are many
classification schemes used. Anyway, I wish to translate that to my BibJSON
record for such a work.

A couple of ideas came to mind:

* Use one collection per library.
* Leverage FRBR and RDA to embed information regarding where items could be
located

I prefer the second option but I confess I'm not yet very fluent with FRBR.
So first of all, is that even a good idea?

I was thinking about adding this to my record:

"frbr:manifestation":[{"frbr:place":"Library
A","rda:identifierForTheManifestation":""},{"frbr:place":"Library
B","rda:identifierForTheManifestation":"BD GRE A"}]

Does it make sense? Should I leverage a different model? If you've got
something better in mind, I'll welcome it (with a small example so that I
can get my around it ;)).

Thanks,
--
- Sylvain