[Open Design] Legal aspects of Open Design

Primavera De Filippi primavera.defilippi at okfn.org
Fri Mar 8 12:44:34 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I would like to start a collaborative document to address the legal aspects
of Open HW / Open Design, namely:

Extent of protection:
- what is protected (by default) under copyright law
- what is protectable under design rights
- what is protectable under patent law

Licensing:
- how can we make a design Open ?
- do current licensing schemes (such as Creative Commons) apply to design
rights ?
- how can we protect the paternity for automatically-generated works ?
(e.g. produced by software)

and many other questions that will come to my mind later on  :)

If anyone has any other questions and/or is interested in joining this
endeavor, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me !