[Open Design + Hardware] Article in Wired

Kat Braybrooke kat.braybrooke at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 02:02:05 UTC 2014

Great piece, Primavera. And, I would say, not off-topic at all. These are
issues we should certainly be discussing in this group, especially related
to the hardware associated with such networks, and the participatory design
methods that have helped originate the democratic nature of such
collaborations.

Speaking of mesh networks getting started in local communities, here's
another one which has recently received enough funding to get developed for
a low-income estate in Gelydeg Merthyr Tydfil, aiming to reach over 4,000
homes: http://www.digitalmerthyr.org.uk/about

The groups who have put this together are an inspiring mix of industry,
not-for-profit and municipal actors. Gives me, at least, hope for the
future of new mesh networks to rival the community-driven ones of old.

hi, i'm kat | mozilla <http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/> |
OD+H<http://design.okfn.org>| the
open book <http://theopenbook.org.uk>
twitter + IRC @codekat <http://twitter.com/codekat> | web kaibray.com