[opensourcepharma] a open source cure for Ebola?

Els Torreele els.torreele at opensocietyfoundations.org
Fri Aug 8 11:41:40 UTC 2014

So Ebola was just declared a public health emergency by WHO.

Considering the call by Jeremy Farrar (Welcome Trust), Peter Piot (London School) and David Heymann (ex-WHO, now UK Health Protection Agency) to test experimental treatments now (and not only on Americans) and to do so with public money and leadership (not waiting for companies to develop their own drugs the normal and slow way),
(see http://online.wsj.com/articles/experimental-medicine-and-african-ebola-1407258551),
could we write an open letter to Farrar, Piot and Heymann and proposing/demanding that this be done in an open source approach, sharing all data, crowdsourcing for more data and ideas, and possibly get more and more researchers on it?
The Welcome Trust and London School are likely supportive of an open approach, and Farrar and co. could possibly be approached beforehand to seek their support.

I'm not a good writer, but I'm sure one or several of you could develop such a letter quickly, and then we can get it out early next week, before WHO convenes that medical ethics expert committee to discuss the ethics of the accelerated clinical research (in which data sharing could be an important element)

What do people think?