[opensourcepharma] Draft Open Ebola Letter

Peter Kolb peter.kolb at uni-marburg.de
Fri Aug 8 16:02:26 UTC 2014

Marburg happens to be one of two places in Germany which has a BSL4 lab
and the current strain of the virus is being analyzed here as we speak.
I could try to talk the lead PI (e.g. Hans-Dieter Klenk or Thomas
Strecker) of the team into supporting this letter, if that sounds
interesting.

Would have to dig up bit more background on both.

Peter

On 08.08.2014 17:56, Matthew Todd wrote:
> Further to Els's very interesting suggestion, here's Draft 1.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/10qD0-CLlBKp_6COmMUffZp9mp4NwJGlmcwb5Jjt_wDA/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Edit away or comment, here or on the document itself. It needs to be
> short! I think given who it's addressed to it needs to be clearly a
> recommendation of the idea, rather than a direct appeal for any
> funding. We can do a lot here in advance of any up-front financial
> commitment, but which may lead to more substantial efforts later that
> require dollars.
>
> I'd suggest the letter come from a defined group of us, and when
> published we could ask for wider expressions of support somewhere,
> from the public.
>
> It feels like we'd have more impact with the support of an Ebola
> researcher - we are addressing the letter to one of the discoverers of
> the virus, I understand, so maybe that's the way to do it.
>
> Els - do you have a venue for this, and a way to alert people to it?
>
> Best,

> MATTHEW TODD | Associate Professor
> School of Chemistry | Faculty of Science
>
> THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
> Rm 519, F11 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
> T +61 2 9351 2180  | F +61 2 9351 3329  | M +61 415 274104
> E matthew.todd at sydney.edu.au <mailto:matthew.todd at sydney.edu.au> | W
> http://sydney.edu.au/science/chemistry/research/todd.html | W
> http://opensourcemalaria.org/
>
> CRICOS 00026A
> This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any
> unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in
> error, please delete it and any attachments.

P e t e r   K o l b
Emmy Noether Junior Group Leader
Pharmaceutical Chemistry @ Philipps-University Marburg
Tel +49 6421 28 25908 | Fax +49 6421 28 28994
http://www.kolblab.org

Chair | GLISTEN: COST Action CM1207
http://www.glisten-gpcr.eu/

Editor | Journal of Postdoctoral Affairs
http://www.postdocjournal.com