[wdmmg-dev] Where we are with OpenSpending

Martin Keegan martin at kulella.com
Thu Jun 16 10:21:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Stefan Wehrmeyer <stefanwehrmeyer at gmail.com
> wrote:

Thanks for the pointers.

>  - There are ways to monitor celery described here:
> http://celeryproject.org/docs/userguide/monitoring.html (but couldn't get
> them to work when I just tried)

Yes - so this has been a big problem: one, there's not been an independent
way of checking if things are working, and we may have had false negatives
from using these tools.

I've added a paster cmd, paster testcelery, so that we can check if celery
is running from the perspective of Pylons, avoiding having to rely on these
unreliable tools (though even this returns some false negatives).

I have observed celeryd exit (apparently cleanly) when running from bash in
a tty, which isn't a good sign. I presume this has been the problem all
along: it aborts, doesn't log anything, and then the tools for checking
whether it's working misreport its status.

The situation now is that celery has been working, and people have imported
large datasets via the WWW interface. This is probably because we restarted
celeryd, and then started it again when being very careful about
paths/environment.

Mk