[wdmmg-dev] Open Spending Albania

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Mon Jun 20 19:55:40 UTC 2011

Hi Armand,

Thanks for creating the package in CKAN.

The file I am looking at is:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AhuowaCxiO_TdHUyeG5SWVRKTTR3NmpueWtGeVIxeHc&output=html

I'm just having a look and can spot a couple of things that we need to
look at before we can load your data.

I need to also clarify with my colleagues, this is the first time I
have worked on a dataset with totals in the middle of columns and I
need to find out from the team how we can work to make this match the
required format.

My observations for what I think we will need to change initially:

1. Your CSV File does not contain original column headings (i.e. they
are a mix between the OpenSpending Mapping schema and the original
file)

My suggestions to you would be to use column headings something like
(this is just an example - you need to pick ones which are appropriate
to you):

Spending Area Level 1, Spending Area Level 2, Amount, (Omit Currency),
Commentary

2. The mapping metadata is a *separate* file to the CSV. It shows how
your columns correspond to the system that OpenSpending understands.
Once we have established what the field names in your original file
should be, we can write the mapping metadata.

e.g.

Original Field, OpenSpending Field, Default value, Label, Description,
DataType, ObjectType, Classifier taxonomy, Commentary

Spending Area Level 1, to, society, Area1, General breakdown into
areas, string, entity,,,
Amount, amount,, Amount, Amount in Currency XYZ, float, value,,,

I can help you try to put together this mapping metadata tomorrow if
you like, but I need to find out first whether the overall
datastructure is going to present any problems.

@team - could you have a quick look at Armand's data? Will
OpenSpending be able to deal with the Totals in the individual
sections?

I am presuming that in the file you provided, column b is a subset of
column a (i.e. you would like to break your data down firstly by
column a and the drill deeper by column b)?

Many thanks and I look forward to continuing this discussion tomorrow.

Best wishes,

Lucy

--
Lucy Chambers