[wdmmg-dev] types, names and URLs

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Thu Oct 6 12:47:35 UTC 2011

Hi Rufus, thanks for the feedback!

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>>> The URL scheme I would propose is:
>
> Looks good.
>
>>> /browse - Lists datasets.
>>> /<dataset> - base info
>>> later: /<dataset>/source/<id>/data - bulk raw download
>>> /<dataset>/entry/<id> - entries
>>> /<dataset>/dimension/<name> - dimension metadata and distinct values (count and sum over each measure)
>
> Are "to" and "from" now just dimensions? And why single out <taxonomy>
> (ie. why not just have them as a dimension)?

"to" and "from" are likely to become classifiers of the taxonomy
"entity" (this is another thread of discussion).

But for any of these, there's two ways of looking at it: once as a
dimension of the dataset (e.g. cofog1) and as an abstract taxonomy
(e.g. cofog). I think the abstract category is more useful for linking
to things (e.g. /cra/cofog/0.3.2), but we need the /dimension/ bit
mostly for metadata.

So if you go to a /dimension/xxx page you will see a listing of
distinct values plus their aggregate involvement for each measure, see
http://openspending.org/dataset/ukgov-finances-cra/dimension/from.

>>> /api/<dataset>/aggregate - API endpoint
>>> /session/...
>
> What is session?

The rest-fetishist way to talk about user state, I think: /session/add
for login, /session/destroy for logout. Can leave it as it though,
just wanted to mention this class of things.

- Friedrich