[wdmmg-dev] SQL migration status update

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Fri Oct 7 11:14:45 UTC 2011

Hi all,

the migration to an SQL backend is now basically done, 'bascially'
being the operative word. I've closed the relevant ticket (#204) in
favor of the follow-up issues under
https://github.com/okfn/openspending/issues?labels=sql-followup. As
for completeness, here is a list of issues that I am currently aware
of:

* URL scheme has changed as per mailing list discussion. Entities are
gone, as is
  their controller.

* Dropped support for date durations, i.e. end_column special syntax.
Use two date
  dimensions if you need it, gives clearer semantics anyway.

* Unique key generation for entities is gone, these are assumed to
have a unique
  'name' attribute for now. In the same vein, entries are updated via an update
  statement over unique_keys, these are not made explicit. Entry IDs
are currently
  auto-inc IDs.

* Views cannot drill down into entries any longer, need to drill down
into another
  layer of classifiers instead. They also no longer support mongo
query constructs
  in "filters" (surprise!).

* Database needs to be initialized explicitly before use, ostool
<config> db init.

* Support for treemap color generation based on parent DBRefs is gone. Need to
  replace with dimension hierarchies.

I'll aim to have most of the follow-up bits cleaned up before Kiev.

Cheers,

 - Friedrich

--
Open Knowledge Foundation