[openspending-dev] Admin-defined TreeMap views vs user-defined TreeMap visualisations

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Fri Aug 17 08:07:12 UTC 2012

Hey Miro,

many thanks for all your input. I've begun consolidating your various
feedback to our project wiki here:

https://github.com/openspending/openspending/wiki/Wishlist - please
feel free to add any further items.

Again, please consider that we have limited resources and thus cannot
make all of this happen over night, but its great to have feedback
such as yours and it'll make its way in eventually :)

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM, račan.sk <racan.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the differences between the admin-defined TreeMap views and the
> user-defined TreeMap visualisations is that the latter do not contain data
> tables underneath.
> May I ask what are the reasons for this difference? Would not be it be
> practical to have a choice of placing data tables under the TreeMap and
> BubbleTree visualizations as well?

There are two ways for tying these two visualizaton types together:
OpenSpending does it in a bit of a fake way (which is why editing the
query on the visualization will not update the table as well) and the
other solution is for custom pages
(https://github.com/openspending/zebrabonn).

In general, the issue is that different types of visualizations may
require different types of queries and thus we cannot easily take the
data for one type (e.g. the treemap) and stuff it into another (the
table). We could make one default query, but that would mean that
OpenSpending would never get timelines, or any other type of
non-hierarchical type of information. This is also why there is no
drop-down menu for changing visualization types.

- Fr.