[openspending-dev] IE 7, 8 on OpenSpending.org

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Fri Aug 17 08:37:53 UTC 2012

Hey all,

I'm wondering about what our stance for IE compatibility on
OpenSpending.org should be. While this is non-negotiable for client
sites (e.g. WorldBank and UK gov run on IE8, apparently), on OS.org
I'm seriously considering putting in a warning and letting it be. The
reasons for this are:

* It's a really small share of the traffic we get (140 people last
month) and a fair amount of effort (nobody working near OS even has a
Windows machine).

* There are now excellent visualization toolkits (e.g.
http://code.shutterstock.com/rickshaw/, and the rest of D3) all of
which we cannot use if we want to support IE.

In any case, I think its important that we *have* a policy - whether
to support or to discard IE7/8.

What do people think?

- Friedrich