[openspending-dev] OpenSpending for Brazilian data

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Thu May 31 14:18:25 UTC 2012

Hey,

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Thiago Rondon <thiago.rondon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Friedrich Lindenberg
> <friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
>> 1) Upload the CSV file to some location on the web. We can of course
>> provide you with file storage if you need.
>> 2) Inform OS about that location and make it load the data.
>>
>> I've drafted a small sample to do 2) under
>> https://gist.github.com/2843491 (it's Python, sorry ;). This will
>> basically queue a load of the source URL passed in and a few minutes
>> later that data should be available on the web site.
>>
>> Does that make sense?
>
> Yes!
>
> Do you have some example of CSV file that OpenSpending can read ?

Plain CSV is alright (commas and doublequotes). There are few rules
for the columns, it just needs to have at least one column with a time
stamp and a column with an amount. You then have a WYSIWYG thing on
OpenSpending.org to inform the software which column has which role.

If you have an account, I can give you access to a dataset to play
with -- or you can just create one yourself :)

- Friedrich