[openspending-dev] D3.js Sankey diagram for OpenSpending

José Félix Ontañón felixonta at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 11:59:48 UTC 2013

El 08/08/2013 13:17, "Tryggvi Björgvinsson" <tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org>
escribió:

> On þri 6.ágú 2013 16:17, José Félix Ontañón wrote:
>>
>> Anders Pedersen challenged me to built a D3.js Sankey diagram on the top
of
>> OpenSpending API, and first steps, so far, an R script[3] that queries
>> OpenSpending API and produces a D3.js Sankey's json input file.
>

> This is cool! psychemedia on github has also been working on creating an
openspending api wrapper in R: https://gist.github.com/psychemedia/6057436

Hey! That's really cool! Feeding R analysis with opendspending data is a
good step beyond the exploratory visualizations.

>> I'm documenting the details, in order to help people to reproduce it with
>> their own OpenSpending datasets. Next steps, replace the R-script with a
>> javascript glue-code: this way, changes on the data would be refreshed
>> on-the-fly at the D3.js diagrams. Any help here would be welcomed.
>

> That sounds like a great plan. Can you join our irc channel,
#openspending on freenode? You should be able to access it via
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=openspending if you don't have an irc
client.

I've irc under control :)
I'm travelling till the weekend, so I'll put all the efforts next week.

> I'm there to answer questions if you have any about how to include the
visualisations. Just ping me (tryggvib). If you can't we can try to do it
on the mailing list but then we should try to avoid flooding the mailing
list.

I'll do it, thank you.

>> I'm my humble view, an out-of-the-box D3.js visualizations using
>> OpenSpending as a datawarehouse would be a fancy boost to the project.
Am I
>> wrong?
>

> This would be hugely beneficial, and like Anders said there are others
who have been thinking about it. You should probably collaborate so we
won't end up with competing implementations.

Thats the point
Regards!