[openspending-dev] api key

Stefan Wehrmeyer stefan.wehrmeyer at okfn.org
Mon Aug 19 08:53:23 UTC 2013

Hi Alberto,

you are right with your security concerncs. Since most developers only need read access (which doesn't need the key), this wasn't considered before.

We should strongly consider putting up SSL for OpenSpending (shouldn't be too hard, won't touch code base).
The possibility to regenerate an API key might also make sense.

I would vote against a public/private key system as it will make OpenSpending more complex than necessary.

Cheers
Stefan

On 19.08.2013, at 09:19 , Alberto Rodriguez Peon <alberto.rodriguez.peon at cern.ch> wrote:

> Hi Tryggvi,
>
> Sorry, my question was a bit unclear.
>
> I assumed that using the API key to authenticate the user is the right way. The problem is that exposing the API key as a request parameter can be very dangerous (it can be intercepted).
>
> Maybe an option to avoid this is having two keys, a public key that can be exposed and a private key that is used only for signing each request. For example: http://developers.issuu.com/api/signingrequests.html
>
> How Openspending is using this key in other parts of the API?
>
> Cheers,
> Alberto

Stefan Wehrmeyer
Projektleiter FragDenStaat.de
stefan.wehrmeyer at okfn.org
+49 151 15550559
Open Knowledge Foundation Deutschland e.V.
Gneisenaustr. 52
10961 Berlin
http://www.okfn.de

Spenden Sie für FragDenStaat.de: