[openspending-dev] Apps.OpenSpending.org - A Proposal

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Feb 8 18:29:03 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I want to raise again the proposal from my mail in January [1] to create
apps.openspending.org.

[1]:
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/openspending-dev/2013-January/000533.html

*Aside: I'm not specifically worried about the domain so if people have a
suggestion for a better name please say.
*
*In a nutshell: A space for lightweight (HTML+JS) apps associated to
OpenSpending*

This would be building stuff off the API (mainly in JS + HTML) plus
possibly some stuff that was just standalone (but was OS related). I'm
thinking of the sorts of mini apps already in openspendingjs but you could
think of plenty more.

If no-one pipes up to say this is a bad idea I can have a go at booting
this in the next few days ...

Regards,

Rufus

*## Implementation*

Boot https://github.com/openspending/openspending.github.com and CNAME to
apps.openspending.org

This means any repo in this org with gh-pages becomes

apps.openspending.org/{app-name}

We could also use repo as an "overall" repo where people can list ideas as
issues so you can link to this to give people a starting point

*Aside: Could allow some full-on apps to get deployed via heroku and at
xyz.apps.openspending.org*

*## Extras*

- have the base site (apps.openspending.org) to have a nice listing of
satellite sites and apps.

- split out openspendingjs apps straight away ...

- provide some common css and js (openspendingjs?) so things have a common
theme by default (and all link back to apps and OS.org etc)