[openspending-dev] Apps.OpenSpending.org - A Proposal

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Sat Feb 9 12:13:14 UTC 2013

Hey guys,

I think its useful to distinguish generalised and non-generalised apps. The
bubbletree, treemap or daily bread are fairly generalised and there's docs
for how to apply them to virtually any dataset. I agree with Vitor that
these should live on OpenSpending.org in a nice gallery - and in
OpenSpendingJS. Basically, OpenSpendingJS can have a Jekyll project in it
which renders out to the gallery, so that everything is in one place.

But I agree with Rufus that OS should do more non-generalised apps, simple
hacks and visualisations that relate more to a story than to general budget
visualisation methods. Maybe some of these can be productised, but that's
something that can come later (and only if there is commercial demand or
community code contributors). Examples of this include stuff like Ist/Soll
in Germany, California Municipalities, UK Cuts, Farm Subsidies and many
other things.

What I disagree with you about, Rufus, is how to present those: I still
think they should live with the country portals (like Where Does My Money
Go, OffenerHaushalt or on some topic-specific subdomain) and only be linked
from the OS portfolio (which needs to be more in the foreground of OS). We
want visitors to our national sites - i.e. normal citizens - to see them,
not keep them into the tight bubble of the OpenData/OpenGov nerds (which is
who OpenSpending is for). More fundamentally, OS should frame its apps with
regards to their contents, not around the API they may happen to use.

We both like the OSM metaphor a lot, and I think it serves well here: there
is no apps.openstreetmap.org because the coolest things that OSM does are
not about OSM.org but about things like turn-by-turn nav in my car, a cool
map layer for some dataset or just mapping someone's holiday photos.

My $.02,

 - Friedrich