[openspending-dev] Gallery of OpenSpending visualizations

Vitor Baptista vitor at vitorbaptista.com
Wed Feb 20 23:46:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

I like d3js' gallery (https://github.com/mbostock/d3/wiki/Gallery). I find
it's very useful to learn d3 seeing all the cool things people did with it,
in bite-sized chunks. This is one of the things that I think we could do
for OpenSpending, so it becomes easier both to reuse, and to create my own
visualizations. I started doing it this afternoon. It's still very basic,
but it's a beginning.

There are examples of all widgets, and the treetable (treemap +
aggregatetable):

   - Bubbletree (http://jsfiddle.net/vitorbaptista/jhaKT/)
   - AggregateTable (http://jsfiddle.net/vitorbaptista/mFVMv/)
   - Treemap (http://jsfiddle.net/vitorbaptista/RVdNt/)
   - Treetable (http://jsfiddle.net/vitorbaptista/2ryzb/)

The codes can be more organized, and the bubbletree needs some work (add
colors + icons). But I'm trying to do the basic structure, answering
questions like: what's the least I need to create a treemap?

I feel it's easier to understand how how all widget's pieces work together,
than to try to read WhereDoesMyMoneyGo's code, for example.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Vítor.