[openspending-dev] Treemap drilldown transition

Tryggvi Björgvinsson tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org
Wed May 1 13:18:22 UTC 2013

On fös 19.apr 2013 15:53, Adam Stiles wrote:
> This would be useful for comparing, for example, different years -- a user
> wants to see if a category/rectangle grows or contracts, but when it
> disappears and then expands you forget exactly how big the previous
> rectangle was and can't switch quickly back and forth.

Hi Adam,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy the last couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, this isn't very well supported by OpenSpending at the
moment so you should be careful when you add comparisons. The problem is
that the colors always follow the same order which means that if e.g.
the police spent more than the fire department in one year and then the
next year the fire department spent slightly more than the police the
fire department would be represented that year with the same color as
the police the previous year (and vice versa).

So if you want this feature it would need some adjustments to the
treemap visualisation.

This is something we need soon so you implementing this feature would be
a great bump to our development :-)

/Tryggvi