[openspending-dev] OpenSpending - Thoughts on Approach and Architecture

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri May 3 16:59:50 UTC 2013

On 3 May 2013 17:31, Tryggvi Björgvinsson <tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org> wrote:
> On fös 19.apr 2013 16:37, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>> I've also now prepped some notes on the ETL
>> process<https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/1NMmGqiBgsgbnDPIP1mfGgD5ChUpeo97e5QjO-vPWpuc/edit#>
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear folks thoughts!
>
> What's the point with data.openspending.org? Is it to keep a copy of the
> data instead of fetching it as we do now? Does this come from the fact
> that when users do the transform part of ETL they need to find a place
> to put the transformed file before getting it into openspending.org?

The point of data.openspending.org would be, in fact, to become *the*
primary datastore for OpenSpending data.

OpenSpending.org would be a frontend and would be the home page for
the project but it as a datastore or catalog it would be based off
data.openspending.org.

Think again of OpenStreetMap. When you go to openstreetmap.org you are
seeing the frontend map for the project. But in fact the heart of OSM
is the database and the tooling built around it not openstreetmap.org
itself.

Rufus