[openspending-dev] OpenSpending - Thoughts on Approach and Architecture

Tryggvi Björgvinsson tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org
Fri May 3 17:18:08 UTC 2013

On fös 3.maí 2013 16:59, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> The point of data.openspending.org would be, in fact, to become *the*
> primary datastore for OpenSpending data.
>
> OpenSpending.org would be a frontend and would be the home page for
> the project but it as a datastore or catalog it would be based off
> data.openspending.org.
>
> Think again of OpenStreetMap. When you go to openstreetmap.org you are
> seeing the frontend map for the project. But in fact the heart of OSM
> is the database and the tooling built around it not openstreetmap.org
> itself.

I see (and agree). This is in-line with my ideas. However I don't see
that shining through in your diagram. In your diagram you have the "Data
Store" and then you have the "OS Primary Database" (they are joined via
an arrow labeled "Map" but it's hard to understand what you mean).

Then in Part IIa "to OpenSpending.org" you talk about map creation and
"do import" which for me is what we already do. Do you mean that it
would just be a frontend for data.openspending.org? That's how I
envision things as well. I see openspending.org function more like a
satellite site, connecting data.openspending.org (db write) and perhaps
api.openspending.org (db read).

/Tryggvi