[openspending-dev] New feature: Track and collaborate on getting data on to OpenSpending

Anders Pedersen anders.pedersen at okfn.org
Mon May 13 17:42:13 UTC 2013

All,

For some time we've been looking for ways to enable easier collaboration on
getting spending data on to OpenSpending. We wanted to make it easy to show
what datasets people are working on and what help is needed. That's why
we've now added:

The Data Progress panel - go and have a look!
http://progress.openspending.org/

What can you do there:
- Request a dataset you'd like to see on OpenSpending
- Claim a dataset you'd like to clean and upload to OpenSpending - and ask
the list for help if needed
- Check what datasets other people are working on - and offer your help if
you can

In other words, we hope that this can help assist in a few ways:
- "I'm working on a dataset, but got stuck cleaning the spreadsheet - who
can help?"
- "I've found this excellent dataset on Italian structural Fund payments. I
would like to add it to OS, but need help translating the columns before
uploading."
- "I wonder if someone is already working to add the EU budget to
OpenSpending?"

At this early stage we're still adding features. We'd however be really
interested to hear feedback from you, so let us know how we can make the
panel useful for tracking progress of datasets.

Contribute to the dev. work:
https://github.com/openspending/dataprogress

Anders

--