[openspending-dev] API authentication and URL change

Tryggvi Björgvinsson tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org
Sun Nov 17 20:29:04 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that later today I'll deploy a change to
the loading API. One of the things we did at the weekend hack was to
change the authentication for the API.

We now have a mechanism where you have to sign your request using a
private api key but last Friday we started enforcing HTTPS on
openspending.org (which is therefore more secure by default). This means
we were able to simplify the authentication. After deployment later
today you will only have to send your API key in the HTTP request
header. This is its form:

Authentication: apikey <your api key>

There's another noteworthy change to the loading API. We have also moved
it to version 2 of the api (it was placed in version 1 of the api --
that's my fault for not catching it in the code review).

So instead of being at:
https://openspending.org/api/new
It'll be at:
https://openspending.org/api/2/new

So update your loading clients with the new URL and the simplified
authentication.

--

Tryggvi Björgvinsson

Technical Lead, OpenSpending