[openspending-dev] [OpenSpending] Mission of OpenSpending

Tryggvi Björgvinsson tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org
Tue Oct 15 20:15:41 UTC 2013

Hey Marc, Chris, and everyone else,

Thanks for the input. This is great!

I think you two are right. I debated this for quite some time before
settling on a slightly more vague edition. However this is the mission
statement so it really should not be vague. I guess I decided
enterprises needed to be more transparent in what they do after seeing
"The Tax Free Tour" [1] and reading about garment factories (and wanting
to know who buys from them) [2].

[1]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4o13isDdfY
[2]:
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/10/11/i_got_hired_at_a_bangladesh_sweatshop_meet_my_9yearold_boss.html

I agree with you though. This will muddle our mission so I propose we
focus on government financial data only - then we can leave corporate
transparency to OpenCorporates ;-)

Here's an updated Mission statement. Basically I just swapped out "in
the world" for "of all governments" (please help me out if you can
phrase this better).

I also updated the opportunities section and removed "and enterprises"
so it now only says "accountable governments".

# Mission statement

OpenSpending is a community run project that aims to map, analyse,
understand, and display every financial transaction, plan, and contract,
of all governments.

# Opportunities

A world where everyone understands the financial world around them,
thanks to transparent and accountable governments, and can use that
understanding to affect positive social and political change.