[openspending-dev] Porting OpenSpending to Flask

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Sun Dec 21 20:24:35 UTC 2014

Hey all,

as most of you will know, OpenSpending is still based on the Pylons web
framework, which has been discontinued and unsupported for a few years now.
Pylons was a bit notorious for encouraging questionable design practices,
for example a variety of semi global bucket variables (c, g, and h).

With a slight attack of Sunday enthusiasm, I started porting OpenSpending
to Flask today. The idea is that Flask would make the whole thing a bit
cleaner and provide a good reason to cut out the messy scope stuff.
Unfortunately, it also means touching virtually every corner of the code
base.

In any case, I've got a running version of some of OpenSpending in Flask,
only the home page and account management are working so far. Would love to
hear people's thoughts as to whether this is a bit too radical after all...

https://github.com/openspending/openspending/pull/833

Cheers,

- Friedrich