[openspending-dev] Porting OpenSpending to Flask

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Sun Dec 21 22:42:43 UTC 2014

I agree that it's be cool to split up OS into micro-services, and I'd say
that only gets easier once we have everything divided into blueprints.

As for OSEP2, I want to focus on the bits that generate end-user value. My
interpretation is that raw data storage would be useful, but less so than
simple file upload. They may end up being the same thing, but with
different attitudes :)

If I had to guess what the most pressing challenge is for the platform, I
would go with domain-specific metadata. OS has apparently got 2000 datasets
now (massive jump, what happened?) - but it's near impossible to find out
which areas are covered, which datasets are current and how one would
update those that aren't.

More than that, the OS home page does a horrible job linking out to the
cool satellite sites like Spending.jp, WDMMG, budzeti.ba, CameroonBudget or
OffenerHaushalt. These shouldn't just be mentioned in random blog post, but
featured in the main system when people browse for budget data.

Another random comment: reading the OS codebase today, I have to say that I
haven't learned to love the BDP. At the moment, it's turning into a
parallel, non-UI loading mechanism, when really the BDP should link into
the process much more smoothly. One mechanism -- model/mapping or BDP
should be the "truth", and the other one should map onto it. I'm really not
sure what the best approach is.

Cheers,

- Friedrich