[openspending-dev] Alternative architecture diagram

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Sun Jan 4 20:46:37 UTC 2015

Hey all,

Rufus and I had a little chat today about the OSEP 1 architecture diagram
[1].

I decided to make an alternative diagram to lay out the components of a
refactored OpenSpending as I would like to see them. Unlike the OSEP
diagram, I'm not trying to display process here, just modules - so it's not
as explanatory:

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1Gd1CtXji5nlzrIisDZx75Le5uXL1ekPdPlWCdD7Z554/edit

This would still have OS running a central application (there's a handy
delimiter line in the diagram), which means we wouldn't have a
micro-services architecture. At the same time, I think we can really make
the OS code base much more accessible by moving functionality into
libraries (like cubes, loadkit) and dropping some other dependencies
(mainly Solr).

So it may not have the GNU HURD sexiness of OSEP 1/2, but I think it would
give us a well-structured application with well-defined responsibilities.

Looking forward to discussing it on the 8th!

Cheers,

- Friedrich

[1] http://labs.openspending.org/osep/img/01-tech-overview-subcomponents.png