[wdmmg-discuss] HMT meeting tomorrow

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Feb 23 18:31:22 UTC 2010

New questions:

1. Do you have any estimate for the amount of public monies which are
spent but *not* included in CRA or included in PESA?

2. How do they do their accounting? (other than COINS) How do they
tell if they're going to run out of money? Do they do double-entry
accounting *anywhere*? And can we get hold of it if we do.

3. Do they get audited? National Audit Office? What do they provide to
their accountants?

4. Which department should we ask about preparing CRA breakdowns? DWP, DEFRA?

>From last time:

6. What other countries do (e.g. France, Gerrmany, Sweden, US). In
particular how widespread are COFOG labelled spending breakdowns? What
accounting software/systems they use (e.g. is COINS state of the art
or not?)

Regards,

Rufus

## Summary from last time:

1. COINS, COINS, COINS
  * Specifically: a) what is in COINS b) how fine-grained is it c) can
  we have the data ...

ANS: a), b) done and c) in progress

2. What other DBs they have similar to PESA or CRA (whether public or private)

ANS: no more data (what about SBI?)

3. Comparability over time (e.g. of CRA or PESA)

ANS: poor (5 years)

4. How they do updates to the (same) data. In particular do they
perserve old versions of discard them

ANS: discard

5. How they get local data and what their statisticians (if anything)
do to allocate spending to particular categories and regions

ANS: they don't know and we should ask a specific department. DWP or DEFRA.