[wdmmg-discuss] a good e.g. of obtaining council accounts

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 13:07:41 UTC 2010

Lisa
I'm obviously keen on knowing how they are going to approach the publication
of spending data -- in part yo check they're doing something like the Spikes
Cavell approach [1], and to check they've seen the guidelines the Local Data
Panel drew up [2]. In and out of meetings tomorrow, but feel free to call on
my mobile if any questions re this come up that you can't answer, and want
to pick my brains on.
Chris
[1]
http://countculture.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/the-open-spending-data-that-isn/
[2]
http://data.gov.uk/blog/publishing-itemised-local-authority-expenditure-advice-comment

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Lisa Evans <lisa.evans at okfn.org> wrote:

> I'm meeting with 2 people from Cambridgeshire County Council tomorrow, to
> talk about their accounting data and what they can share with us.
>
> If you have any questions then I'll ask for you -- just let me know.
>
> Here's some background on the accounting system they have at Cams County
> Council.
>
> I found out the database used to store the council's accounts is a Fujitsu
> Oracle system. Oracle Applications is on version 11.5.10.2 and the database
> version is 10.2.0.3.0. I got this from here:
>
> http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/databases_used_to_store_county_c#incoming-82248
>
> I've got some of the accounts database schema information:
>
> http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/schema_for_the_fujitsu_oracle_da#incoming-82932
>
> I've got some idea of which tables are important:
>
> http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/data_from_the_fujitsu_oracle_dat#comment-11028
>
> I have the training notes for using the accounting database:
>
> http://www.archive.org/details/CambridgeshireCountyCouncilAccountsDatabaseTrainingMaterials
>
> That's all for now,
>
> Lisa
>

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Lisa Evans wrote:
>
>  I've mentioned before on this mailing list that I've been requesting
>> details of a few different council's accounts.
>>
>> My best result so far has been with Cambridgeshire County Council, as you
>> can see here:
>>
>> http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/data_from_the_fujitsu_oracle_dat
>>
>> Mostly this is because I've been lucky to meet Andy on 'What do they
>> know', who knows the account database tables well.
>>
>> So, I've got a meeting at Cambridgeshire county council to discuss the
>> data we want -- this gives me a chance to show the wdmmg visualisations and
>> explain the project.
>>
>> Let me know if you have suggestions for what to ask.  I should be meeting
>> them with Andy, hopefully this Wednesday, and I'll keep you posted on how
>> this goes.
>>
>> Lisa

OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture