[wdmmg-discuss] Whole of Government Accounts Wikipedia article

Lisa Evans lisa.evans at okfn.org
Fri Jun 11 14:45:57 UTC 2010

Hi Jonathan,

I've found out loads more about whole of government accounts(WGA) since
then -- mostly from speaking to the WGA team.

1. The purpose of whole of government accounts is to identify transactions
    between public bodies and then to eliminate the double counting. So if
    body A gives money to body B then WGA would be responsible for
    subtracting the amount body B received from body A's total. You can see
    this going on in the adjustments table in the coins. There are scripts
    in coins to best guess the eliminations using the CPID, but the whole
    of government accounts perform lots of checks on this.

2. There is a report expected in spring 2011, that is going to be from the
    whole of government accounts, but it will very high level -- like
    company accounts. But unlike PESA, apparently it will include spending
    on PFIs.

3. What I don't yet understand is why the WGA instructions for LA require
    the LA to record their spending down to the nearest 1 million pounds,
    and it then says this information is recorded in COINS, but the spending
    we see in COINS does not include any local bodies.

You can see more what I mean here:
http://www.communities.gov.uk/localgovernment/localgovernmentfinance/governmentaccounts

Lisa