[wdmmg-discuss] BA-RSS event: Speed Data-ing: the effects of the rapid rise of the data society, 1 Dec 2010 (1830-2000 hrs) at the Royal Society

K Corrick kathryn.corrick at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 25 16:35:40 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,
An open invite from Debra Hurcomb of the GetStats campaign to the following
event has come in, which I thought it might be of interest to some here.
Best wishes,
Kathryn

*Speed Data-ing: the effects of the rapid rise of the data society*

* *

*a British Academ*y-ROYAL STATISTICAL SOCIETY hosted event at the Royal
Society, 6-9 Carlton House Terrace, London, SW1Y 5AG

* *

*Wednesday 1 December 2010, 1830-2000 hrs followed by a drinks reception*

* *

*We are living in an increasingly data-dependent society in which it is
impossible not to engage with data.* *New developments are about to
transform our relationship with data. Impressive new media and
government-initiated visualisation tools and exploratory data sites have
placed statistical data in the public domain for the public’s information
and use. These new initiatives are intended to benefit the public as
consumers of services and products, and as citizens – householders, parents
and people with ‘lives to manage and decisions to make’. Will the newly
available data enable us to gain a better understanding of the society we
live in? Will it make our lives easier?  How can statistical know-how and
skills help us to gain maximum benefit from these new resources?  Where, in
short, is the new data society leading us?*

*On 1 December, Professor David Hand, Imperial College and President of the
Royal Statistical Society; Professor David Spiegelhalter, Winton Professor
of the Public Understanding of Risk and Simon Rogers. Editor, Guardian
Datablog and* Datastore will give presentations on aspects of the ‘new data
society’ and form a panel to discuss issues around new developments with the
audience.

* *

*Please join them if you can! Attendance is free and booking is not
required. Seats will be allocated on arrival at the venue.*

* *

*Please do feel free to pass details of this meeting on to your immediate
colleagues/wider contacts who might be interested in attending. See
http://www.britac.ac.uk/events/2010/SpeedData-ing.cfm and http://
www.rss.org.uk/events for further details.  *

* *

* *