[OpenSpending] Looking for a contact

Adam Stiles adam.d.stiles at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 14:15:46 UTC 2013

Mehdi and Anders -- merci and thanks for the kind words! Aside from using
tools that OpenSpending has created, which is already a huge service, we
couldn't have built a site for Oakland without the support of
OpenSpending's development and community outreach teams. Just last night
they rushed to help us add new features to meet our deadline (our mayor's
release of new budget data).

And while I love compliments, I wouldn't say our project is the most
advanced. (As Anders said, our quick timeline may be impressive, which
again speaks to tools that are easily adapted to other locations, and the
technical support.) We're very jealous of features on other OpenSpending
sites that we haven't yet been able to add. Take a look at some of our
inspirations here: http://openbudgetoakland.org/toolsprojects.html -- not
all OpenSpending, but many are.

If we're unique, it's in the fact that we are an all-volunteer effort with
no formal relationship with OKFN. That may be interesting for your purposes
because ours is a model that could be replicated elsewhere -- not every
city can be an official partner of OKFN, at least not today, but all have
citizens that are excited to create something useful given the basic tools.
We've also focused our design on conversation and sharing -- we're adding
forums today and more sharing features soon. The visualizations stimulate
discussion, give context to data, and raise the level of discourse. For us,
both visualization and conversation are necessary for either to be
meaningful.

Happy to discuss further if you're interested.

Thanks,

Adam

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 4:13 AM, Anders Pedersen
<anders.pedersen at okfn.org>wrote:

> Hi Mehdi,
>
> The work that Adam and the rest of the team at Open Budget Oakland
> have done to get this project off the ground in such a short time is
> indeed impressive: http://openbudgetoakland.org/
>
> Glad to hear that you want to write about how cities can use
> OpenSpending. I'll ping you off the list later today!
>
> Anders
>
> On 16 April 2013 06:27, Mehdi GUIRAUD <mehdi.guiraud at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've been following the progress of openspending for six months , now.
> And
> > I'd like to write about the effort with the angle of what seems to be the
> > most advanced project : Oakland.
> >
> > I'd like to have an interview ( in French or in English ) with someone
> who
> > could explain the aim of the openspending project and how a city ( big or
> > small) could join the network.
> >
> > Thank you in advance for your help
> >
> > Mehdi Guiraud
> > Journaliste multimédia,